ENTRY NO: 189071

It's arrived, I am now officially registered for the 2007 ING New York City Marathon.
Yes that's right, on November the 4th I will take to the streets of New York in an attempt to run for 26.2 miles.
There are many reasons for me doing this ranging from a need to get fit and a long desire to actually achieve something, but mainly it's for the challenge and charity, I am running for The Anthony Nolan Trust who help save lives from leukaemia by providing lifesaving donors for patients in need of a bone marrow transplant. Having lost 2 friends; Mickey Bundle and Johnny Allen to Leukaemia in the past 3 years and having watched my fellow rugby player Sam Hart walk single-handedly from Newcastle to London, I have been inspired to throw on my running shoes and to go and do something a bit silly, 26.2 miles it is.
To sponsor me please click HERE

Monday 23 July 2007

Making up for last week

So, last week was week 1 of the main 16 week training programme and I was terrible.


For the past 5 weeks I have been following a "Pre marathon warm up for fools", and was doing quite well (I thought any way). This programme took me from walk for 15 minutes, up to a full 10k run, which was equal to furthest I have ever run before, and certainly the furthest in one go!!

But after finishing the pre-programme on a high I spent last week in New York. I meant well, I took my running gear with me and was all set to do some miles round Manhattan, running through Central Park, up and down the river side, visualising November and the marathon itself with me pounding through the Manhattan streets with the crowd screaming and shouting encouragement, however, it was not to be, and the temptation to spend each night eating and drinking and generally enjoying myself was too great (for those who know me well, you will understand that this is quite out of character, as it normally takes a lot to get me into a pub). I am ashamed of my poor performance even more so as the eating and drinking I did was with my friend Sam Johnson who is also running the New York Marathon and who is also partly to blame for convincing me to do such a silly thing (he did that over beers as well), but he was strong enough to brave the rain and continue his training while I worked on my excuses!!

So, with a poor week behind me and plenty of sarcastic comments regarding the "lack of progress" on my blog, I tried to make up for it this weekend and ran on both Saturday and Sunday, covering just over 3.5 miles on Saturday and 7.25 on Sunday. Sunday's was very pleasing as I was quicker over 10k than I had been the week before, and also my route took me off road and through Whitewebbs which was very damp under foot. Obviously keen to keep my pristine new trainers clean, I needed to navigate round the large muddy puddles, which slowed me down, but I was able to pick the pace up again once I got back to the road.

So, I'm back on track. The schedule for this week is:
  • Monday: 45 minutes
  • Tuesday: rest
  • Wednesday: 3 x 10 minutes hard, 3 minutes recovery
  • Thursday: Easy 25 minute jog
  • Friday: 50 minutes steady
  • Saturday: rest
  • Sunday 90 minutes

No comments: