ENTRY NO: 189071

It's arrived, I am now officially registered for the 2007 ING New York City Marathon.
Yes that's right, on November the 4th I will take to the streets of New York in an attempt to run for 26.2 miles.
There are many reasons for me doing this ranging from a need to get fit and a long desire to actually achieve something, but mainly it's for the challenge and charity, I am running for The Anthony Nolan Trust who help save lives from leukaemia by providing lifesaving donors for patients in need of a bone marrow transplant. Having lost 2 friends; Mickey Bundle and Johnny Allen to Leukaemia in the past 3 years and having watched my fellow rugby player Sam Hart walk single-handedly from Newcastle to London, I have been inspired to throw on my running shoes and to go and do something a bit silly, 26.2 miles it is.
To sponsor me please click HERE

Tuesday 2 October 2007

Back to running

Ok, after the fun of watching England win I had to run again.


So Sunday came round really quickly, and the fun I'd had in Paris seemed like a mistake.  But I had to do my long run and as I'd put in a poor performance in New York I was desperate to make up for it.

I was aiming for 16 miles, and I had a good idea of a route that would deliver that, but I also wanted to push myself further so set off with 4 out of the first 5 miles being up hill, as I climed up towards the M25.  No it isn't K2, but boy did I notice the difference that a constant (if shallow) climb makes, and it took my 1 hour 40 minutes to do the first 8 miles.  I also had to stop for a wee, and also to buy some more water, but that's not included in the running time!

I did the next 8 miles in 1 hour 20 minutes, but this was anything but even paced.  Miles 8-12 felt really good, and I covered them in a really good time, but the last 4 were a struggle, to the point that I actually think walking might have been quicker at times, but I pushed on and finished.

I won't say I felt confident afterwards, I'd spent the best part of Sunday afternoon out running, I was fed up with listening to myslef, and I couldn't see where I could get another 10 miles from, and I really felt that it was likely to take me about 6 hours, I could walk it in 8!

But, my wife cheered me up, and I had a good run yesterday a quick run just short of 4 miles, the day after the long run and the legs felt good, not like the other week when I couldn't walk for 3 days after running 12 miles.  Perhaps, just perhaps, I can do this.

No comments: