ENTRY NO: 189071

It's arrived, I am now officially registered for the 2007 ING New York City Marathon.
Yes that's right, on November the 4th I will take to the streets of New York in an attempt to run for 26.2 miles.
There are many reasons for me doing this ranging from a need to get fit and a long desire to actually achieve something, but mainly it's for the challenge and charity, I am running for The Anthony Nolan Trust who help save lives from leukaemia by providing lifesaving donors for patients in need of a bone marrow transplant. Having lost 2 friends; Mickey Bundle and Johnny Allen to Leukaemia in the past 3 years and having watched my fellow rugby player Sam Hart walk single-handedly from Newcastle to London, I have been inspired to throw on my running shoes and to go and do something a bit silly, 26.2 miles it is.
To sponsor me please click HERE

Monday 1 October 2007

Back to NY

So, last week I went to New York for a few days, the last time I will be there before the big day itself (which is far too close now), and so I decided that I'd familiarise myself with a little bit of the route. As I was staying near Central Park I thought an early morning run round the great park itself would be a great idea, so I planned to start at Columbus Circle, run up the left side, across the top, down the right side, and along the bottom, as I will do on November the 4th, finishing back at Columbus, rather than in the park.  However, whether it was the flight the day before, the not so great nights sleep or what I don't know, but my legs felt twice as heavy as usual, and that is pretty heavy anyway, given that each of them is about 40% of my overal body weight (all muscle - honest).


So I trudged and struggled up the street, it was a glorious morning, the sun was out, the air was good, there were lots of other people looking very fit running towards me and overtaking me, and I really couldn't get into it.

As I reached the top of the park, I figured it was going to take everything I had just to go back the way I came, so I did, and a very dejected runner ended up in the queue at JambaJuice waiting for a "Power Orange-a-peel" with added energy shot.  


No comments: