ENTRY NO: 189071

It's arrived, I am now officially registered for the 2007 ING New York City Marathon.
Yes that's right, on November the 4th I will take to the streets of New York in an attempt to run for 26.2 miles.
There are many reasons for me doing this ranging from a need to get fit and a long desire to actually achieve something, but mainly it's for the challenge and charity, I am running for The Anthony Nolan Trust who help save lives from leukaemia by providing lifesaving donors for patients in need of a bone marrow transplant. Having lost 2 friends; Mickey Bundle and Johnny Allen to Leukaemia in the past 3 years and having watched my fellow rugby player Sam Hart walk single-handedly from Newcastle to London, I have been inspired to throw on my running shoes and to go and do something a bit silly, 26.2 miles it is.
To sponsor me please click HERE

Friday 21 September 2007

Laps and hills

Well, as I couldn't bring myself to run around the streets of gay Paris last weekend (two notably large nights out put pay to that), I had to squeeze my long run in at the begining of this week, and decided to get it out of the way on Monday night.


In trying to pick my route for this 12 mile run, I decided to stick two together, and did my normal short run home from Palmers Green, followed by 2 laps of Enfield.  The first 4 miles was good I was feeling really positive and didn't even get annoyed at the "stupid" people walking along the path (for a change), then the 2nd 4 miles started with a hill (Windmill Hill for those that know Enfield), then the Ridgeway, Lavender Hill (down), Lancaster Road, Baker Street, High Street and back to the bottom of the hill), finishing lap 1 and mile 8 it was going really well. There is something about running round somewhere more than once (as I keep learning about running and how to trick myself into being able to do it), but the simple fact that the next 4 miles where the same as the 4 miles I'd just done, made it feel easier, you know, that sort of talking to yourself saying, "come on, it's just once more round and you've already done it once you wuss!", so I did.  

However, I think I've got to start tricking myself into thinking that I'm doing longer runs, because it seems the last 1 mile of what ever long run I do, is getting hard, and the legs are really feeling it towards the end, I am sure I look like I'm trying to dance like someones Dad at a wedding rather than run.

Oh, and that reminds me, twice now when I'm stretching at the end of my run, a caring passer-by has asked me if I'm alright?, does my bright red face covered in sweat really look that bad that complete strangers feel the need to offer me help? 

Anyway, long run done for the week and I did it in 2:09 so not to bad for me.  Only problem, for some reason and I don't know if it was the cold, the rain, the hill or the tight shorts but I could hardly walk until Thursday, my legs were like lead. 

No comments: