ENTRY NO: 189071

It's arrived, I am now officially registered for the 2007 ING New York City Marathon.
Yes that's right, on November the 4th I will take to the streets of New York in an attempt to run for 26.2 miles.
There are many reasons for me doing this ranging from a need to get fit and a long desire to actually achieve something, but mainly it's for the challenge and charity, I am running for The Anthony Nolan Trust who help save lives from leukaemia by providing lifesaving donors for patients in need of a bone marrow transplant. Having lost 2 friends; Mickey Bundle and Johnny Allen to Leukaemia in the past 3 years and having watched my fellow rugby player Sam Hart walk single-handedly from Newcastle to London, I have been inspired to throw on my running shoes and to go and do something a bit silly, 26.2 miles it is.
To sponsor me please click HERE

Thursday 23 August 2007

Euphoria

I've discovered that running for this long takes me through quite a journey, I start feeling confident and thinking to myself that it's only a few miles more than I ran before, I listen to some upbeat tracks on my ipod that get me settled into my stride, and as I'm running I let my mind wander and contemplate many thoughts. Things are good. Then I start to get bored of basically talking to myself (I now understand what you have all had to put up with), and I start to think about how far I've gone, how far I've got to go, working out what it is in miles, k, feet and inches, minutes (hours), what percentage of a marathon that will be, what sort of time will I do, how many steps am I taking, all that sort of thing. And the miles pass by, but then I haven't got anything left to work out, I am no longer talking to myself and I've resorted to counting just to give me something to do. This normally takes me about 3/4 of the way home, and I then it's to my "power" tracks back on my ipod and a lot of telling myself that I can do this. Then it gets weird, I start singing, or more accurately, shouting along to the music. I have about 4 tracks that are really uplifting, and 2 in particular (Mr Brightside by the Killers and Dakota by the Stereo's) that I use and I really get into it, I run hard, I shout to the music, and I get quite euphoric, really quite euphoric, the sort of euphoric that I imagine is what they call the "runners high" and then I finish.

Anyway, my mid-week run is now about 6.5 miles, with my first double figure run this weekend. More euphoria to come!

No comments: